Farm shares, also known as Community Supported Agriculture (CSA), have become increasingly popular in Philadelphia over the years. If you’re someone who’s passionate about locally-sourced and seasonal produce, a farm share might be the perfect way for you to get fresh, organic produce right from the source. In this article, we’ll explore what a farm share is and give examples of farm shares available in Philadelphia.
What is a Farm Share?
A farm share is a way for individuals to purchase a “share” of a farm’s harvest for a specific season. Members of a farm share typically pay upfront at the beginning of the season, and in return, they receive a regular delivery of fresh, organic produce throughout the season. Farm shares can range from small to large farms, and their offerings can vary depending on the farm’s specialties.
Examples of Farm Shares in Philadelphia:
- Philly Foodworks – Philly Foodworks offers a farm share program that runs from June through November. Members can choose from different-sized shares and pick up their produce at various locations throughout the city. Philly Foodworks also partners with local producers to offer a range of additional products, including dairy, meat, and bread.
- Lancaster Farm Fresh Cooperative – Lancaster Farm Fresh Cooperative is a non-profit, farmer-owned cooperative that delivers fresh, organic produce to various pick-up locations throughout the Philadelphia area. They offer a variety of share sizes and options, including vegetable shares, fruit shares, and cheese shares.
- Greensgrow Farms – Greensgrow Farms is a non-profit organization that operates urban farms in Philadelphia. They offer a CSA program that runs from June through October. Members can choose from small or large share sizes and receive a weekly delivery of produce that includes seasonal fruits, vegetables, and herbs.
- Weaver’s Way Farm – Weaver’s Way Farm is a non-profit, community-supported farm that offers a CSA program to members. Their program runs from June through November and offers various share sizes and options. Members can choose to receive a weekly delivery of fresh, organic produce, as well as locally-sourced meats, cheeses, and bread.
- Red Earth Farm – Red Earth Farm is a family-owned and operated farm that offers a CSA program to members in the Philadelphia area. Their program runs from June through November and offers various share sizes and options. Members can choose to receive a weekly delivery of fresh, organic produce, including a variety of fruits and vegetables.
Products Included in Farm Shares:
Farm shares can include a wide variety of produce, depending on the farm’s specialties and the season. Here are some of the products you might find in a farm share:
- Seasonal fruits and vegetables, including lettuce, kale, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, and more
- Herbs, such as basil, mint, and thyme
- Eggs from free-range chickens
- Meat, including beef, chicken, pork, and lamb
- Cheese from local farms
- Bread from local bakeries
- Honey and other sweeteners
In conclusion, farm shares offer a unique way for individuals to connect with local farmers and get fresh, organic produce directly from the source. By signing up for a farm share, you not only support local agriculture but also gain access to a variety of fresh, healthy foods that can help improve your diet and overall health. So, if you’re passionate about sustainable agriculture and want to experience the benefits of locally-sourced produce, consider joining a farm share in Philadelphia.
Leave a Reply ·